TOP 10 SIDE BUSINESS IDEAS
#1 STANDARDIZED EXAM TUTOR
Evaluation (1 to 4): Profit Margins: 3 | Rivalry: 4 | Setup: 4 | Scalability: 3
Do you know how many people per year are investing on admission exams such as GMAT, SAT, GRE and so many others?
You can find a list of hundreds of entrance exams that are peculiar to each country and that are highly critical for the students, as these are many times the biggest initial obstacle to a successful career.
How much do you think people pay for increasing the odds of passing one of these exams? It’s a huge market, and if you have an expertise or manage to master one of them in detail, you can create an online website specific for those exam students where you present and sell excellent materials.
You should be able to create free and paid materials, as the effort required to develop these materials is all the relevant investment you’ll have.
Aim at attracting the students with your free content and letting them pay for exercises lists, in-deep videos, online courses or even 1-on-1 consulting or workshops.
It is a highly scalable business. You need upfront investment in working hours, which is not cash-out, and then you reap the benefits over time. A very focused business that is highly profitable and has an acceptable level of competition.
See references here:
- GMAT preparation blog: magoosh.com
- GMAT preparation website: mba.com
- Standardized tests website: kaptest.com
#2 TEACHING DO-IT-YOURLSEF’s
Evaluation (1 to 4): Profit Margins: 4 | Rivalry: 4 | Setup: 2 | Scalability: 4
What are Do-It-Yourself’s? It is the category that englobes everything you can do autonomously, without the aid of an expert.
When it comes to the Teach Do-It-Yourself’s industry, you can find extensive areas of interest. We may be talking of parrot’s lessons, cooking, assembling electronics, building boats or houses, and so on. The options are endless.
What is fascinating about this industry is that if you pick a tiny niche, such as constructing furniture, you can have a small audience with a huge conversion rate.
Just imagine you create a website and several short videos on how to build furniture pieces. Each video is a piece. You can sell this short videos cheap, but over and over again.
The important is to pick a very narrow niche. So once again, a highly profitable business that requires some upfront investment regarding working hours, with weak competition if it’s a small segment and potential to scale quickly, namely if you’re selling through online.
See references here:
- Article for DIY entrepreneurs: http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/7472-diy-industry-tips.html
- Every type of thing the human being can make: instructables.com
- Tips and downloads for getting things done: lifehacker.com
#3 NICHE BLOG ABOUT ANYTHING
Evaluation (1 to 4): Profit Margins: 4 | Rivalry: 4 | Setup: 2 | Scalability: 4
As you’ve already understood, the online is the channel which easily allows for a highly profitable, easy to scale and set up business.
However, it isn’t easy to get attention. In fact, people usually say that when you create a blog, you are a toothpick in the middle of a forest.
So it becomes crucial to select a very narrow niche, where you can easily get noticed when launching a blog.
Don’t get me wrong; it will still be hard to tell people that you’re alive, but it becomes simpler to solve a particular need and get recognized by the community faster.
I must warn you that we didn’t input one criterion on the methodology that is the payback period, which means, ‘How fast can you see money in a given business.’
Blogging can be hard to monetize in a first glimpse, as it often requires a lot of patience and consistency along months, even with zero viewers.
Nevertheless, if you manage to start a blog on a topic for which you’re passionate about and in a niche that is narrow but profitable and with few competitors, it can be pretty impressive.
Also, if you’re wondering how to make money through a blog, don’t worry, there are plenty of ways, and we’re not talking about the advertisement.
It all starts by having a mailing list. Then, you sell through a concept called Sales Funnel, products such as Books, eBooks, Courses, Monthly Subscriptions, Coaching, Consulting, Physical Products, and so many other options.
See references here:
- Living a rich life – Ramit Sethi’s blog is not so narrowed as we’re talking here, but it’s still a great example of a very successful blog, so it is worth to give it a check: iwillteachyoutoberich.com
- Entering a top tier consulting firm: caseinterview.com
- Article for new bloggers: smartblogger.com/launch-mistakes/
#4 PERSONAL FINANCE ADVISORY
Evaluation (1 to 4): Profit Margins: 3 | Rivalry: 3 | Setup: 4 | Scalability: 4
One of the best areas to be nowadays. Whether in the field of an online financial advisory, a financial blog writer or an offline consultant, the financial 101 industry is one of the three most search subjects online.
If you feel very comfortable and are passionate about finance, and have some credibility deriving from your previous experience or some significant achievement related with investments, everyone will want to hear your advice about how to manage money, how to invest and how to save.
Once again, what we have in mind is a more online-based approach, because that way you will be able to scale a lot better and faster. Even though the profit margins aren’t as high, you should still be able to reap incredible benefits.
Also, there aren’t many remarkable guys in finance who are willing to share a life-changing piece of advice to the society.
It is, definitely, something with a lot of demand.
See references here:
- Ramit Sethi’s blog started with a focus on personal finance: iwillteachyoutoberich.com
- Get Rich Slowly: http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/
- Money Mustache: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/02/22/getting-rich-from-zero-to-hero-in-one-blog-post/
#5 FUNDRAISING CONSULTANT
Evaluation (1 to 4): Profit Margins: 4 | Rivalry: 4 | Setup: 3 | Scalability: 2
You see, this role’s demand is similar to the financial advisory position. Here, we’re also targeting a critical function of any company: to be well financed.
However, the expertise required to be a fundraising consultant is naturally different than the financial advisory.
In this situation, you will be an expert in the private equity sector; you will know which are the entities that are best suited to finance a particular type of firm, depending on its growth stage.
You will also be experienced in international funds such as Horizon 2020 and the best practices to apply for a European Union funding.
This knowledge is extremely rare and very much appreciated. You will find lots of open doors if you start selling consulting services to firms or non-profit organizations helping them to fundraise, as you typically will benefit from a monthly fixed fee and a commission on your successful funding rounds.
It is not an easy to scale business because you need to hire and train people, and, in fact, manage a consulting firm (when going full-time).
But it allows for higher profits per client, as well.
As usual, being creative, you can find several online options for this sector as well, whether we’re talking about offering people your advice, writing in blogs, selling beginners’ courses, creating a YouTube channel, among many other options.
See references here:
- Ever considered being a fundraising consultant: http://101fundraising.org/2013/07/ever-considered-being-a-fundraising-consultant/
- How to become a non-profit fundraising consultant: http://philanthropynewsdigest.org/columns/mycareer-pnd/how-can-i-become-a-nonprofit-fundraising-consultant
- Opinion at Entrepreneur.com: https://www.entrepreneur.com/businessideas/fundraising-consultant
#6 ONLINE COURSES
Evaluation (1 to 4): Profit Margins: 4 | Rivalry: 4 | Setup: 2 | Scalability: 4
Alright, here we’re targeting at one of the most profitable business areas that currently exist. We’ve already touched many points related to online courses, but let us know understand exactly why this is such a wonderful business.
You have, basically, two choices when going for online courses. You can go to your website, create a mailing list and start selling premium courses at the end of the sales funnel, or you decide to start immediately selling courses through platforms like Udemy or Teachable.
Either way, if you create good content to a profitable niche, and can record it with outstanding conditions, be sure that people will pay for those courses.
Additionally, it’s the typical business one creates the material upfront and then profit from it perpetually.
The only downside is the competition; there’s a lot of people creating courses nowadays since the whole industry has exploded since the creation of massive online platforms.
However, make sure to go for a very segmented approach, as we’ve been recommending. It’s always easier to start with a small group of customers with very specific needs you can easily address.
See references here:
- How to Sell Online Courses: elearningindustry.com/tips-sell-online-courses
- Teachable: teachable.com | Udemy: www.udemy.com
- Lynda: lynda.com | Khan Academy: www.khanacademy.org
#7 DATING EXPERT
Evaluation (1 to 4): Profit Margins: 4 | Rivalry: 3 | Setup: 4 | Scalability: 2
The dating industry is huge, definitely one of the most demanded subjects worldwide and an issue of primary importance to each human being.
If you feel comfortable and take great pleasure from helping others in their relationships, have sounding communication skills and visual attractiveness (is a big plus), I’m sure you have a tremendous opportunity in the love industry.
You just need to have in consideration that there’s a lot of competition as well in this industry, so it might help to find a differentiated communication approach or targeting a new type of problem with which you target customers can easily identify with.
Also, one of the best ways to understand if you already are an authority in the love chapter is to watch carefully how your friends and colleagues talk to you about relationships.
If they open up a lot to you and are very receptive to your pieces of advice, it might be because you are an authority on the matter.
See references here:
- Relationship advice: professional-counselling.com
- What is Relationship Coaching: noomii.com/relationship-coaching
- How to become a Dating Coach: absoluteability.com/dating/how-to-teach-dating
#8 AUDIO MASTERING
Evaluation (1 to 4): Profit Margins: 4 | Rivalry: 4 | Setup: 4 | Scalability: 1
I haven’t yet figured out the perfect label to this job: we meant the service of mixing audio tracks, editing and mastering them.
If you have expertise in editing music, this can be quite a fascinating business for you. It usually works this way: you receive audio tracks by email, and you mix and master them to create a final version of a song.
It will mainly demand for your personal time, for which we’ve considered it’s very hard to scale, namely because it requires a lot of expertise and it’s hard to share it with other people.
It is also the reason why there’s quiet rivalry in this sector. There aren’t many top guys at doing this, especially if we’re looking at smaller countries.
You can win your first clients through your offline network and start from there. Keep in mind that you want to make sure you do an excellent job, as your revenues will come from repeated customers and their referrals.
Also, it is a simple business to setup, all you need is a PC with the right software. Assuming, of course, that you have the required skills to master audio tracks.
Note 1: here we’re not aiming at being a Mastering Engineer. It isn’t expectable to you build an entire studio to record songs and deal with the most famous musicians in the world. Start with baby steps, use a PC and your knowledge to sell an outstanding service to small size customers.
Note 2: if you are passionate about this business, make sure you build your studio as you develop your mastering skills because your studio’s quality will eventually be essential to the growth of your business.
See references here:
- How to run your Home Studio: http://music.tutsplus.com/articles/how-to-run-your-home-studio-like-a-startup-business–audio-16742
- Tips & Tutorial for audio mastering: https://www.izotope.com/en/community/blog/tips-tutorials/2014/06/what-is-mastering.html
- Course to learn audio mastering: https://online.berklee.edu/courses/audio-mastering-techniques
#9 EROTIC ONLINE INDUSTRY
Evaluation (1 to 4): Profit Margins: 4 | Rivalry: 2 | Setup: 3 | Scalability: 4
We are great fans of the taboo industries such as sex and death because these are very profitable industries in which the vast majority of entrepreneurs don’t like to enter.
Nonetheless, if you are open-minded and don’t care about exploiting taboo themes, we’d like to suggest you have a look at the online sex shops industry, for instance.
First of all, because there is a huge market for erotic/sex products even though nobody likes to talk about it.
Secondly, because it isn’t that hard to find the right suppliers who won’t say ‘no’ to new customers.
And thirdly, because all you need is an online store which can be easily done with tools such as Shopify.com.
However, there is already some competition and if you want to grow this business it may require some capital expenditure in promotion and marketing to buy some awareness.
See references here:
- Article about ‘Lovehoney’: econsultancy.com/blog/10823-10-things-lovehoney-learned-from-setting-up-an-e-commerce-site
- America’s Top 13 Sex Shops: thestallionstyle.com/americas-top-13-sex-shops-that-rock/
- Adam & Eve store: adamevestores.com/
#10 GARBAGE REMOVAL SERVICE
Evaluation (1 to 4): Profit Margins: 3 | Rivalry: 4 | Setup: 4 | Scalability: 2
The Garbage Removal Service is, definitely, my favorite one. We only came to think of this business while we were researching for this ultimate list. But we couldn’t avoid being stupefied when we understood the potential to make some quick bucks in this business.
Don’t get discouraged by your friends who will tell you they would never pay to have someone removing their garbage. It is the perfect social business to improve the quality of life of older people who live in urban buildings without a lift.
Just have a look at this: you live in a neighborhood of 20 buildings. You create flyers and perform a presentation door to door, in each one of those 20 buildings offering to dispose of their wastes every two days, after dinner.
If only 10% of people accept to pay you 10€ per month, we’re talking about two entire buildings, each one with an average of three apartments per floor and ten floors, on average.
So we’re talking about sixty flats? Sixty houses multiplied by 10€ / month is 600 € in one month, for a service you can easily perform in two hours each two days.
Also, the service doesn’t require any specific know-how, anyone can do this job. So you could, in fact, pay to someone from the neighborhood in 75% commissions (Uber business model) and release yourself from doing the job so that you can scale the business.
I don’t know about you, but even though we’re talking about garbage, we thought this was a fascinating and straightforward business to start earning some money on the side.
See references here:
- Complex article about starting this business, honestly it can be a lot easier, but you can still give it a check: smallbusiness.chron.com/start-garbage-pickup-business-15786.html
- Snap Junk Removal (different business model that also works): snapjunkremoval.com/
- Another yet business model also based on junk collection: kuppathotti.com/
COMPLETE LIST OF THE 100 SIDE BUSINESS IDEAS
Sorted by grade – from highest to lowest
#1 Online Courses
- Dorie Clark at Forbes: How to create a Money-Making online course
- Ashley Hockney: Why an Online Course is the Best Way to Make Money at Home
- How to Teach Classes Online: What Tools to Use
#2 Standardized Exam Tutor
Specializing in helping students in their most critical exams when applying for advanced degrees.
- The Evolving Business of Tutoring and Test Preparation
- Starting a Home Based Tutoring Business
- How to Earn Extra Income Through Private Tutoring
#3 Teach Do-It-Yourself’s
Creating a website to sell mini-courses on Do-It-Yourself subjects such as furniture building, house building, etc.
- Do It Yourself: 4 Tips for DIY Entrepreneurs
- Helping you be your child’s first teacher
- The Family Handman
#4 Niche Blog about Anything
Starting your blog about a very narrow and profitable topic, adding a lot of value with content. Sell through the mailing list funnel.
- Online Security Guard Training and Career Center
- How to Train your Parrot
- Herbal Medicine made simple
#5 Personal Finance Advisory
Whether in private meetings or remotely, you advise others on how to save money and better manage their income.
- Susan Adams at Forbes: How to become a Financial Advisor
- Dona DeZube at Investopedia: Is a Career in Financial Planning in Your Future?
- Wealth Pilgrim: How to Become a Financial Planner
#6 Fundraising Consultant
Specializing in helping firms and non-profits to apply for international or investors funding, receiving a commission as the payback.
- How to Become a Successful Fundraising Consultant
- How to Start a Career as a Fundraising Consultant
- How can I become a Non-Profit Fundraising Consultant?
#7 Dating Expert
Working as a personal or remote consultant, helping people on dating and finding love.
- How to become a Dating Coach
- How I became an Online Dating Coach
- What Most Dating Coaches will never admit
#8 Erotic Online Industry
Exploiting a taboo industry that can be highly profitable, whether in the form of an online sex shop or through advertisement.
- Sex Toy Industry Has Quietly Turned into a Multi-Billion Dollar Business
- Recipe to build a Successful Sex Toy Business
- 3dcart: How to Sell Adult Sex Toys Online
#9 Audio Mastering
Working from home and building your studio to sell mixing and editing services to bands willing to give a finishing touch to their records.
- The Audio Mastering Blueprint
- How to Run Your Home Studio Like a Startup Business
- Starting a Mixing and Mastering Business for Bands Online
#10 Garbage Removal Service
Finding ways to helping neighbors in garbage collection and being paid for that service.
- How to Start a Garbage Pickup Business
- Light Trash Removal Business Start Up
- Start your Own Junk Removal Business
#11 Rent your Car on Turo
If you have one or more cars that you currently aren’t using, you could rent them in this online platform called Turo.
- How Turo Works
- Renting a Car on Turo – Is it a Good Deal?
- Leading Car Rental Marketplace – RelayRides – rebrands as Turo
#12 Dog Walking
A quick and easy way to make money, can’t avoid to mention it. Most people would pay for someone to walk their dogs, namely during the day. If you’re a student or have time during the day, you can make some extra bucks walking multiple dogs at the same time.
- Starting a Dog Walking Business? What you should know
- 10 Ways to Become a Successful Dog Walker
- How to Start a Dog Walking Business
#13 Tax Preparation
Helping firms in legally reducing tax payments, increasing net income. There’s a lot of demand for this service.
- How to start your own Tax Business
- Why you should start a Tax Business
- How to Start a Home-Based Income Tax Preparation Service
Do you communicate well? Enjoy speaking to others? Have a nice niche to focus? You can start a podcast.
- How to Start a Podcast: Pat’s Complete Step-by-Step Podcasting Tutorial
- How to Start a Business Podcast
- Ready to start your own podcast? The podcast workflow
#15 Presentations Designer
Many firms don’t have PowerPoint designing skills, and you can help them by polishing their presentations.
- How to Create a Keynote Presentation Template Design
- Fiverr: Hire Experts for Professional Presentations Online
- Flexible & Telecommuting Powerpoint Jobs
#16 Traveling Consultant
Create a website about traveling and be ready to help people, in-person or remotely, to define a dream traveling route.
- Dream Job: How to Become a Luxury Travel Advisor
- Travel Academy: Travel Agent Training
- How to Make a Living Helping Others Travel
Staying with kids when their parents are out. You can find customers through family or neighbors references or online in websites such as findababysitter.com.
- How to Start Your Own Profitable Babysitting Business
- How to Run a Babysitting Business
- Woman Creates Multi-Million Dollar Babysitting Business with $120
#18 Admissions Essay Writer
Millions of students are applying to education programs every year. You can help them having better odds of being accepted, by specializing in writing their admissions essays.
- Earn Money Writing Essays
- Starting your Own Admission Essay Writing Business
- Essay Freelancing Website
#19 Texts editor and proofreading
If you like to read and learn, you can provide editing services to authors and writers.
- How to become an Editor
- What Book Editors Do and How to Become One
- Steps to becoming a freelance Book Editor
#20 Reselling Electronic Parts
You can buy broken electronic devices and use their unbroken components to create new hardware pieces or selling them to manufacturers who might need these parts.
- Five Websites that turn your used electronics into money
- Any my Old Computer Parts Worth Any Money?
- Why it’s good business to import Smartphone Spare Parts from China and resell in your country?
#21 Freelancing on TaskRabbit
TaskRabbit is an online platform, but, actually, it illustrates a whole concept: there are many small services lots of people need that you can sell. For instance, painting the garage gate, helping with a defective washing machine, fixing the blinds, etc.
- Become a Tasker
- How to Cash in and Kill it on TaskRabbit
- This is What it Takes to Make $2,000 a Week Working on TaskRabbit
Staying with people who need attention and protection, whether during the day or at night.
- Starting your Own Home Care Business
- Setting Rates as a Small Caregiving Business
- How do I Start a Caregiver Business
#23 Carpet Cleaning
Offering your time to clean carpets. If you find a way to accumulate carpets and clean them in one single day, if can be quite profitable.#24 Wedding Planning
There’s already competition for this segment, but if you like planning weddings, someone in your warm circle might be willing to ask you for this service instead of a much more expensive agency.
- How to Start a Carpet Cleaning Business
- How Much Would it Cost to Start a Commercial Carpet Cleaning Business From the Ground
- Building Your Own Carpet Cleaning Business from Bane-Clene
#24 Wedding Planning
There’s already competition for this segment, but if you like planning weddings, someone in your warm circle might be willing to ask you for this service instead of a much more expensive agency.
- How to Start a Wedding Planning Business
- What Do You Need to Start a Wedding Planning Business
- How to Start a Wedding Planning Business
#25 Event and Party Planning
If you like planning smaller events on a daily basis, you can create a company to plan events or find freelancing jobs online to build success cases portfolio.
- How to Start an Event Planning Business From Home
- How to Run a Successful Home-Based Event Planning Business
- The Work at Home Woman: Event Planning
#26 Pet Trainer
Many people want their pets to know tricks and are willing to pay very well for you to train them.
- Starting Your Own Professional Dog Training Business
- How to Start a Dog Training Business
- Five Questions to Ask Before Starting a Dog Training Business
#27 Extra-classes Tutor
If you’re comfortable with a given educational course, you can help students by providing studying support and explanations.
- How to Make Money as a Private Tutor
- Make Up to £80 an Hour as a Private Tutor
- How My Friend Made $2,100 From Tutoring
#28 Public speaker / Authority
Becoming an authority won’t be easy unless you have an incredible history or achieved something remarkable. However, you can build a reference profile and start by selling your services to speak publicly until a point in which organizations will, then, invite you to speak.
- 13 Things I’ve Learned During My Public Speaking Career
- 7 Steps to Getting Booked as a Speaker
- How to Market Your Business Through Public Speaking
#29 Life Coach
You can pretty much coach anything, from leadership to self-development topics such as discipline. A Life Coach is one of the most demanded types of coaches. You help rich people in their life journey, being a guide and a confessor to help them growing as individuals.
- How Life Coaches Become Very Wealthy
- What They Don’t Tell You About Starting a Coaching Business
- The Life Coaching Business and Why It Could Be For You
#30 Web Development
You can sell your code as a freelancer through Freelancer-type platforms or to web agencies who require your help in their picks of workload.
- 15 Reasons To Start A Web Development Business
- If I Were Starting a Web Development Company Today…
- 9 Steps to Starting Your Freelance Web Design Business
#31 Online News Correspondent
You can win some money by agreeing with an international news channel to provide for them as a local news correspondent when they are in need of your services.
- Work as a Freelance Foreign Correspondent
- How to Become an International News Reporter
- 10 Ways young journalists can make themselves more marketable
#32 Licensed product distributor
If you see a given product or service when you travel that still doesn’t exist in your country, you can become an official local distributor for that company.
- How to become an Independent Distributor
- Be an Exclusive Distributor
- How to Become an Authorized Distributor
#33 Tour Guide
It’s a very profitable business, all you need is to study and be passionate about a city or a country, and you can organize free tours for foreign people, inviting them to give you tips at the end of the tour.
- So you want to start a tour business
- Could you Make Money as a Local Tour Guide
- When to pay for a Professional Tour Guide
#34 Baking and cooking to sell
If you’re magnificent at cuisine, you can work with firms to prepare dishes and have them reselling, or you can bake and sell your products in an online marketplace.
- How to Start a Home-Based Bakery Business
- Work From Home With a Home Cooking Business
- Seven home-based food business ideas you probably haven’t considered yet
#35 Accounting and bookkeeping
Depending on your country, whether it requires a certification or not, you may help small or individual companies in their accounting, it is a service that shouldn’t require too much effort and can provide a nice extra monthly income.
- How to set up a bookkeeping service
- How to Start a Bookkeeping Business From Home
- Bookkeeper Job Description
#36 Computer Repair
You don’t need to be a computer genius to help the vast majority of people with their equipment issues. Here the difficulty is in letting people know that you perform this service, as often people simply have no idea of who should they call for support.
- How do I start a computer repair business?
- From Hobby to Self Employed in the Computer Repair Business
- Early Mistakes to Avoid When Starting a Computer Repair Business
#37 Computer training and lessons
Whether offline or online, you can create workshops or courses to help people improving their IT knowledge.
- The Pros and Cons of Starting a Computer Training Business
- Could you start a computer training biz?
- How to Start a Computer Training Institute
#38 Expert Analyzes for Insurance Companies
All insurance companies need external experts on a given subject. If you have expertise in a particular topic, say Fraud or Legal advice, you can work for insurance companies on commission-based.
Note: it seemed impossible to find resources about this topic. So far it was possible to understand you have several areas of specialization such as: compensation, fraud, auto industry, health, and even church.
I advise you to talk with an accountant or insurance broker to gain more insights on how to become an insurance specialist, I’m sure they will be able to help you.
#39 Pool Cleaning
If you live in a zone surrounded by houses with pools, you can offer your cleaning services periodically, ideally always before the summer.
- How to Start a Pool Cleaning Business
- Setting Up a Pool Cleaning Business in Florida (still useful to everyone, except the licensing)
- The Art of Owning a Pool Cleaning Business
#40 Training Sports or Infant Teams
You could become a sports trainer or an infants’ football team coach, as an example.
- How to coach youth soccer
- Coaching jobs – What do I need? What should I be earning?
- Training Kids & Adolescents
Creating a printing business is reasonably affordable, and you can print business cards, t-shirts, flyers, posters and work documents whether remotely or in a physical shop.
- How to Start a Successful Printing Business with Minimal Investment
- How to Start a Printing Business at Home
- What Equipment Do I Need to Start a Printing Business
#42 Tuk-Tuk driver
Many towns already have these mobile tours’ vehicles – Tuk-Tuk. You can acquire or rent a Tuk-Tuk for an acceptable amount of money and provide city trips to tourists.
#43 Snow plowing
If you live in a zone with a lot of snow, such as the pool cleaning services, you can also offer your time to remove the snow out of the cars in the morning.
- 4 Traits of a Great Snow Removal Business
- 6 Surefire tips to Starting a Successful Snow Removal Business
- Want to make money plowing snow? Prepare to pay
#44 Home-based Makeup services
Helping ladies with their makeup and in their homes, preparing for an event.
- Starting a Cosmetics Business From Home
- These websites detail on-demand Makeup: GLAMSQUAD, beGLAMMED and BLOWOUT&GO
#45 Social Media Consultant
Are you a Social Media Master? Do you have expertise in Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or any other media? You can manage someone else’s social media for a monthly fee.
- Become a Social Media Consultant – A 12 Step Guide
- How to Make Money as a Social Media Consultant
- How to Start your Own Social Media Business
If you like to write, you can sell eBooks on your website or digital vendors such as Amazon.
- How to (Really) Make $1,000,000 Selling eBooks – Real World Case Studies
- How to Make Money By Writing An eBook!
- How to Make Money Online with eBooks (Kindle Publishing)
#47 Flipping products on Amazon, EBay, etc.
Flipping means you’re looking for products at a market discounted price, then you buy them, and resell these products at the standard market price, so you win the surplus.
- Beginners Guide on Buying and Flipping Items on eBay
- How I made $100,000 from Amazon last year
- A beginner’s guide to earning money on Amazon
#48 Local consulting firm
You can create a small team to sell consulting services in your neighborhood or small town.
- How to Start Consulting on the Side
- 10 Steps to Become a Self-Employed Consultant
- How to Be a Small Business Consultant – 18 Step Checklist
#49 Affiliate sales or marketing
Usually, you will create a website focused on a type of category, you will be an authority and provide opinions about products within that category, leading people to the official manufacturers shopping page, so you win a commission on each sale.
- How to Earn $50-$100 Daily with Affiliate Marketing
- 7 Big Mistakes New Affiliate Marketers Make
- Affiliate Marketing Made Simple: A Step-by-Step Guide\
#50 Language teacher
If you’re very fluent in a specific language, why not teaching on your spare time, whether in a school of remotely to be able to scale?
- Starting a Language Business
- What’s the best way to teach languages?
- So You Want to Open a Language School?
#51 House sitter
Typically, the house owner leaves for a given period, paying you to assume the responsibility for the general maintenance. It includes maintaining the pools, lawns, air conditioning systems, keeping trespassers off the property, readdressing the mail and, in sum, making sure everything runs smoothly.
- 10 Tips on How to Become A House Sitter
- How to Become A House Sitter and Never Pay for Accommodation
- So you want to be a house sitter? Here’s how.
#52 Property Manager
You might be in charge of everything related to a real estate property, helping the property owner to be relieved from all the daily responsibilities such as setting and collecting the rent, finding and screening tenants, handling complaints or emergencies, general maintenance, etc.
- How to Become a Property Manager
- How to Become an Apartment Property Manager
- How to Become A Property Manager
#53 WordPress consultant
Helping small firms or individuals assembling a website, from designing the scratch to the web hosting.
- How to Become a WordPress Professional – and Tips Based on Experience
- How to Become A Top WordPress Developer
- 2 Tips to help you become a 6 figure WordPress consultant
#54 Airbnb host
You can rent your free houses or rooms through Airbnb to earn some extra money.
- The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Airbnb Hosting
- What Do The Most Successful Airbnb’s Have in Common?
- Earn money as an Airbnb host
#55 Freelancer on Freelancer or Fiverr
You have thousands of small jobs you can perform on these two platforms for anyone around the world.
#56 Clothes tailor (mending)
There will always exist a market for mending clothes that are meaningful to someone. You can also sew tailor-made garments.
- Profit From a Home Sewing Business
- How to Start a Small Tailoring Business From Home
- Love to Sew? Start a Side Business Offering Clothing Alterations
- How Much Should I Charge for Mending Someone’s Clothing
#57 Car washing
Of course, we had to mention you can always offer to wash your neighbors’ cars.
- Launching a Car Washing “Fast Cash” Business
- 10 Steps for Starting a Car Wash From the Ground Up
- How to Open a Car Wash Business
More than babysitting, here we’re talking about attending to child’s specific needs and staying with them during the day while the parents are out to work.
- How to Offer Child-Care Services
- How to Open a Child Care Business
- Ideas to Start a Home Day Care Business
#59 Online streamer
Working as a video or gaming streamer can be a dream. You can exploit Twitch.tv to find subscribers and earn passive income. Be warned that it is extremely hard to build an audience, though.
- Get Rich or Die Streaming: Making Money on Twitch.tv
- Online Streaming and Professional Gaming is a $300,000 Career Choice
- 3, 2, 1, You’re Live! How to Make Money Live Streaming
#60 Filling online surveys
Filling online surveys is one of those businesses I wouldn’t recommend unless you are desperate to win some quick bucks. Some websites ask you to complete surveys, and they pay you a tiny amount of money for each survey you complete.
- The Best Paid Online Survey Websites
- Five-minute guide to making easy money with online surveys
- Top 25 Online Survey Sites
#61 Graphic designer
If you are a designer or have designing proficiency, you can provide your services in your spare times. Once again, you can choose to go through the typical channel – offline – or selling through websites such as 99designs.com.
- 10 Ways to Make Extra Money as a Graphic Designer
- 8 Ways to make extra money from your design skills
- 5 Ways to Make Passive Income for Freelance Designers
#62 Google Ads specialist
Many firms have no idea how to advertise online, namely, in Google AdSense. If you have knowledge about how to maximizing impact in this tool, feel free to charge firms for your advice.
- How to Become a Google Adwords Certified Professional (Google Partner)
- How to Become a Google Authorized Adwords, Analytics or Website Optimiser Consultant
- Google Advertising Professional: How I Did It, and Is It Worth It?
#63 Interior design advisory
Are you passionate about home design and decoration? Why don’t you sell your bits of advice to people looking for an outstanding interior design?
- Building An Interior Design Business
- 10 Things You Should Know About Becoming an Interior Designer
- How to Become an Interior Decorator
It’s a tough profession, there are lots of competition, but you can work on several small sectors such as portrait photographer, wedding photographer, kids’ photographer, etc.
- The First Step to Becoming A Successful Photographer: Don’t Go To College
- 10 Signs That You Will NOT Make It As A Successful Photographer
- How to Become a successful Full-Time Photographer in 1 year: The Ultimate Guide
#65 Driver at Uber / Lyft
Of course, you can also make some extra money if you a comfortable car and are willing to drive people on it.
- Uber Drive Requirements
- Uber Driver Secrets: 7 Things to Know Before Working for Uber
- Lyft Driver Requirements: Become a Lyft Driver
#66 Art Dealer
You can buy art pieces are very low prices, for instance, at Art universities and sell them later on large galleries for much higher prices.
- How to Become an Art Dealer
- How to Be an Art Dealer & Open an Art Gallery
- How to Become an Art Broker
#67 Apps Developer
With the right coding skills, you can also sell apps coded by you to firms, whether we’re talking about business apps, collaboration apps or even games with in-app purchases.
- How to make money as an independent developer
- Want to Make Money In Apps? Develop for Business
- Want to start making money from Android Apps? Here’s what NOT to do
#68 Selling patents
Usually, this will be another terrible business. You try to guess what will be the next big inventions so you can register them as a copyright and expect for someone to buy it from you in the future.
- Making Money With Patents
- 9 Patents That Earned These Inventors Over Millions in Profit
- You Have a Great Idea. Now What Do You Do?
#69 Selling refurbished electronics
The refurbishment is the distribution of products (usually electronics and electricals) that have been previously returned to a manufacturer or vendor for various reasons.
- Increase Revenue by Selling Refurbished Products
- How Refurbished Electronics Work
- Old is Gold – Refurbished Electronics Growing in Popularity
#70 Freelance copywriting
If you’re a good writer, you can write original content for newspapers, authors, magazines, ads, Thanksgiving cards, etc.
- COPYHACKERS: How to Become a Freelance Copywriter
- ABC Copywriting: How to become a freelance copywriter
- 2 Simple Steps To Becoming A Well-Paid Freelance Copywriter
#71 Personal fitness trainer
You can join a club, create a website or become a personal trainer to help people with their fitness programs.
- How to Become a Personal Trainer
- You can Become a Personal Trainer
- 8 Signs You Would Be an Awesome Personal Trainer
#72 Yoga or meditation instructor
On your spare time, you can organize workshops or weekly group meetings to practice yoga or meditation.
- So, you think you want to teach yoga?
- 14 Tips for Starting Your Own Yoga Business
- The Ultimate Yogipreneur’s Guide to Designing Your Sweet Yoga Career
#73 Music teacher
Teaching someone an instrument is a way to go for some extra bucks, and you don’t need to be the best musician in the world. It is a competitive industry, though.
- Start making income from teaching music lessons (on the side) in the next 30 days
- How a Music Teacher’s Website Can Make Money Online
- 4 Ways Musicians Can Make Money Online
#74 Real Estate sales consultant
You can also spend some hours per day in helping real estate agencies or firms selling their properties.
- How to Become a Real Estate Agent
- Is a Career in Real Estate Right for You?
- Beginner’s Guide to Being a Real Estate Agent
#75 Homemade furniture
If you have the equipment and skills to create handmade furniture, depending on the type of piece and its cultural value, you can sell it at very favorable prices.
- How to make a living building furniture
- Can Your Handcrafted Business Succeed in the Era of Fast and Cheap?
- The Business of Making Furniture by Hand
#76 Handmade jewelry
The same as the previous point. You can handcraft jewelry at your home and sell it online, to any place in the world, or through your offline network of contacts.
- How to Start an In-Home Jewelry Business
- Start Your Own Handmade Jewellery Business
- 5 Lessons Learnt from a Defunct Jewellery Business
#77 Purchasing an online business
Sometimes it might be a good idea to buy an already existing online business that is near to perfect automated, so you create a passive income stream with minimum effort.
- Start an Online Business By Buying An Existing Website
- The 5 Major Risks of Buying an Online Business
- 4 Ways to Find an Online Business for Sale
#78 Laundry service door-to-door
Nowadays you can create a laundry service pretty much anywhere, and you can make it extremely comfortable to people if you manage to pick and deliver the clothes to their homes.
- How to Open a Laundry Business
- How to Start a Coin-Operated Laundry
- 6 Steps to Starting Your Own Laundry Business From Home
#79 Personal Chef
You can visit someone’s home and cook for them for a special meal, event or even on a daily basis, should they have the money to afford you. Be sure to practice premium prices to increase your cooking’s impact level. Otherwise, this is a passion business with small profit margins and pretty impossible to scale.
- How to become a personal chef
- Become a Private Chef: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- So You Wanna Be a Private Chef?
#80 Create a clothing line
Many people are creating their own clothing line nowadays. It isn’t that hard to do and seems an attractive business since you can sell online to anywhere. However, as a typical mass market B2C business, it usually requires capital to invest in marketing or your line will go unnoticed.
- How to start a clothing line
- How to Launch Your Own Clothing Line
- How To Start A Clothing Line With Less Than 50 Dollars
#81 Dance Instructor
You can join a dance club and teach dancing on your spare times.
#82 Create a certifications business
All you need is creating a new purpose for a certification and ask firms that care about that particular issue (ex: brand loyalty) to pay an entry fee to be available to be awarded that certification. It can be a scalable and high profitable business.
I couldn’t find information related with this business amongst all the worldwide certification topics.
Another common business idea is providing catering services for weekend or holiday events.
- How to Start a Small Catering Business
- Starting a Catering Business
- How to Start Your Own Catering Business
#84 Virtual Assistant
You can be a remote assistant for someone on the other side of the world. Help this person with administrative tasks, translations, scheduling, etc., to earn some extra money.
- Become a Virtual Assistant
- The VA Handbook: How to Become a Virtual Assistant
- How to Make Money as a Virtual Assistant
#85 Crafter beer
Nowadays anyone can craft their own beer and sell it. I would recommend producing a high-quality beer and pricing it with a premium price on a qualitative channel, to have some market penetration.
- This is how to make money off your homebrewed craft beer
- How to Brew Beer (and What it Costs)
- PDF: iCraft Brew – Start your Brewery in Eastern Ontario
#86 Create your YouTube channel
There are, in fact, many guys living from YouTube generated income. All you need are viewers, having 50k subscribers is not what matters here. You will receive money from the Google Adsense as more and more viewers watch your videos.
- 11 Creative Ways to Make Money on YouTube
- How Many Views Does It Take To Make Money On YouTube
- 8 People Who Make Serious Money on YouTube
#87 Stock photographer
Another photographer option might be working for a stock company such as Getty or iStock to sell your images through those platforms.
- Can Photographers Still Make Money With Stock Photography?
- How Much Money Can You Earn In Stock Photography?
If you are a great writer, you can write books for someone else. It might be awkward, but it’s entirely true, you can write someone else’s book, and they will sell the book as if they wrote it.
- A lucrative niche for writers: Become a Ghostwriter
- Learn How to Become a Ghostwriter
- The Brutally Honest Truth About Ghostwriting
If you have the equipment and skill, you can play and mix songs in parties on your spare times.
#90 Freelance eBook writing
Such as a ghostwriter profession, you can also focus your freelance services on eBooks, working for digital agencies or authors that only sell through online.
- How to Make an Extra $ 1000 Right Now Writing eBooks!
- The New Freelance Writer’s Quick-and-Simple Guide to Getting Started
- 7 Steps to Becoming a Freelance Writer
#91 House cleaning
Yep, there will always be room for cleaning houses, most of the people hate to do it, and if you are a trustworthy person, you can offer your cleaning services.
- You Can Clean Up as a Freelance Housecleaner
- Make Extra Money Cleaning Homes
- How Much Money Can You Make Cleaning Houses?
#92 Home-based projects
If you have a specific knowledge area such as civil engineering infrastructures, for instance, and are looking to fill some daily schedule gaps, you can work on short projects from home.
- 10 Best Ways to Make Money from Home (Legitimate)
- How to Become a Freelance Engineer
- 10 Ways Architects Can Make More Money
#93 Windows cleaning
Not always the safest of jobs, but still a required one: you can clean windows as a freelancer or on TaskRabbit. Don’t think you can have enough time to work for a cleaning firm only in your spare hours.
- How to Start a Profitable Window Cleaning Business
- How to Start a Window Washing Business
- Make Money with Cleaning Services
#94 Voice-over for Ads
If you have excellent diction and recording materials at home, you can sell voice-over records.
- Your First Five Steps to Making Money With Your Voice
- How to do Voice-Over Part-Time
- Making Money Doing Voice-Overs
#95 Illustrator / Painter
Some guys also manage to earn money on the side from illustrating jobs such as drawing illustrations for kids books, or something similar, but you can also create your own paintings and sell them on galleries, even though it’s a very competitive and tough market.
- The Myth of the Starving Artist
- How to Sell Your Art and Make Money From Painting
- 11 Ways I’ve Made Money in the Last 8 Years, From Illustrator to Consultant
If you have high aesthetic and would like to model, why not reaching an agency and start performing some exhibitions on the side?
#97 Web Design
Web Design is a designing sub-sector with a lot of competition and some harsh working conditions, namely if you don’t know how to manage the relationship with your customer. It is very usual to see designers being exploited by endless iterations with clients, leading this to a low profitable business.
- GUIDE: How to Make A Lot More Money Online Doing Web Design
- How to Make More Money in Web Design
- How to make $ 5000+ a Month Building Websites Part-Time
#98 Data analysis
If you are a data scientist, math genius or excel geek, why not offering your services to firms who need periodic data analysis?
Guys, I couldn’t find additional resources for making part-time money as a Data Analyst. All you can find are available vacancies for part-time jobs. So if this interests you, go ahead and Google something like “Data Analyst part-time job in City X”.
#99 Music composer
For the ones who are passionate by music and can compose, you can sell your work pieces internationally, whether to having these played by orchestras or pop singers. Be warned, though, this is not an easy-going industry.
- Become a Composer
- The Definite Guide to Becoming a Composer
- How do I become a famous composer without going to music school
#100 Flipping domains
We had to finish with Flipping Domains, one hazardous business. I laugh every time I read anything related with Flipping Domains because this is definitely no way to make some quick and sustained money. It implies you will be buying Internet domains based on your best guesses of what names combination might be appealing for companies in the future, so they buy it to you later on. Needless to say, this business requires a lot of expertise and is tremendously hard to monetize. The vast majority of people will lose money; it is like gambling on stock options.
THE THREE FUNDAMENTALS TO SUCCESS
When you think about it, it’s impressive how many people struggle to start their own business because they are waiting for that perfect idea to fall from the sky. There’s this curious common notion that to be successful in business, all you need is an excellent idea.
Well, allow me to share my brutally honest opinion: having a fabulous idea means absolutely nothing about the potential for the business to be a success.
First of all, because it goes a long way between having an idea and, in fact, executing it. I understand this might seem trivial to you, but it’s a relevant point worth mentioning: most brilliant ideas never get out of the paper.
Secondly, any entrepreneur comes to understand that even the best plan will face numerous obstacles from the get-go of the project; issues that you weren’t expecting will arise and will most likely change your perception about the idea that seemed so perfect some days ago.
Lastly, if you’re doing the right thing during your project development, there’s a high chance you will be pivoting your business idea like 20 times before you launch the company.
You see, I agree that having a powerful concept is important, as it is a fundamental mechanism of motivation to start a business. But it is not the most relevant issue when it comes to driving business to success.
It all starts with the following idea:
To be successful in business, first, you must be in business.
Therefore, we will now address the real critical factors we should always be considering when evaluating a business potential.
THE THREE FUNDAMENTALS FOR SUCCESS IN BUSINESS
There are at least three issues that are undoubtedly more relevant than finding the perfect business idea. The subjects we will be discussing below are the key points that must be present in every founder’s mindset.
These are the pillars of any entrepreneur.
As you probably know by now, when the human beings disappear from the planet earth, the cockroaches will still be around. Why does this happen?
Well, because they have way more flexibility to adapt to circumstances, even though I would say – in our defense – that human beings aren’t that bad either.
Being capable of adjusting your idea and way of thinking to the outputs you’ll be receiving from the reality is one of the most important keys to success.
When you start a business project, all your concept is based upon several assumptions. You should, first of all, test those assumptions as fast as possible to verify if what you’re thinking receives the correct output from your target market.
As soon as you understand that what you were assuming is not aligned with the reality, you must pivot your idea and create new assumptions.
You see, these are like hypotheses. You start with a list of hypotheses that you will test in the market, and if the feedback received is not the one you expected, the right mindset will force you to pivot the idea.
The entire business creation process is full of learning opportunities.
Wait, let me re-phrase: your whole life is full of learning opportunities. But as you already know, not everyone is capable of learning from the other’s perspective or experience.
Some of us are so stubborn that we will be blind to any advice, to preserve what we think is the best business idea and, many times, as a way to defend our ego.
Somehow we might be afraid of being wrong, and I get that, nobody likes being wrong and, especially, having to re-start a business project when you’ve already done so much.
My humble advice to anyone is: build up self-confidence and understand that having someone advising you to go in the opposite direction might be a blessing as it allows you to think about what you’re doing and adjust along the way.
It is not an offense to your way of thinking or original idea; there’s no point in getting emotional.
I would say that having the humility to keep finding opportunities to learn is one of the most important attributes in life that will not only be useful when creating a business but is also a tool of tremendous value in every other area of your life.
There is nothing as important as having solid grit. Determination is the single and most important trait for any entrepreneur.
Along your business creation and also when you are already running the company, there will be immense challenges to solve.
You will find that, very often, the challenges you will face are of high complexity and risk to your overall business. We might be talking about issues like “If I don’t put this machine to work right now so I can sell on this event, I won’t be able to pay salaries this month”.
Stuff that goes way beyond your comfort zone will appear along the way. Likewise, you will find uncountable reasons to give up. It will always be so much easier to give up and get a job, trust me.
Every single day you will face some issue which, if not handled properly, can lead to critical injuries on your business and after several months or years with these type of problems, it might get tiresome.
Being an entrepreneur won’t be easy, but if you have the right determination and self-confidence in your capabilities, be sure that no matter how many times you fall, you will always have the energy and perseverance to get back up on your feet.
Now that we’ve discussed what is important to build up the right mindset and that ideas are not as important as our entire society makes us believe, I’d like to wrap up by recommending this amazing video I watched couple years ago.
It is a TED Talk of Angela Lee Duckworth on “The key to success? Grit”. Angela Lee Duckworth took a job teaching math to seventh graders in a New York public school, and she quickly realized that IQ wasn’t the only thing separating the successful students from those who struggled.
Here, she explains her theory of “grit” as a predictor of success.
A while ago I saw one interesting comparison. Ramit Sethi, a great reference to me, presented several distinctions between the wantrepreneurs and the real entrepreneurs in one of his blueprints for creating an online business.
One of these distinctions was that wantrepreneurs would wait forever for the perfect business idea while the real entrepreneurs would just get started and would adjust along the way, with steady and unbeatable determination.
It is food for thought, even though I couldn’t agree more.
However, what we know is that no one is perfect. Many times people use simple examples just to make a point, but real life tends to be way more blended.
We are all human beings, some days we are entrepreneurs, some days wantrepreneurs; it is the average of our options that will decide where we stand. And being an entrepreneur means, quite often, to be disciplined and do what we deeply know it’s the best for us, even though it might not be the easiest.
And afterward, you add to that average another average: the one that derives from your levels of flexibility, humility, and determination.
Because as it seems, the success path comes from doing NOW the things other guys will delay forever, and have the stomach to endure all the obstacles along the way.
Never forget this.
EVALUATION TABLE FOR THE 100 SIDE BUSINESS IDEAS
|2||Standardized Exam Turo||3||4||4||3||3,5|
|4||Niche blog about anything||4||4||2||4||3,5|
|5||Personal finance advisory||3||3||4||4||3,5|
|8||Erotic online industry||4||2||3||4||3,25|
|9||Rent your car on Turo||4||4||4||1||3,25|
|11||Garbage Removal Service||3||4||4||2||3,25|
|16||Travel consultant / agent||4||2||4||2||3|
|18||Admissions essay writer||3||4||4||1||3|
|19||Texts editor and proof reading||4||2||4||2||3|
|20||Reselling electronic parts||4||4||2||2||3|
|21||Freelancing on Task Rabbit||3||4||4||1||3|
|25||Event and party planning||4||2||4||2||3|
|28||Public speaker / authority||4||2||2||4||3|
|31||Online news correspondent||3||4||3||1||2,75|
|32||Licensed product distributor||2||3||2||4||2,75|
|34||Baking and cooking to sell||4||2||3||2||2,75|
|35||Accounting and bookkeeping||2||3||4||2||2,75|
|37||Computer training and lessons||3||2||2||4||2,75|
|38||Specialist for insurance companies||3||3||3||2||2,75|
|40||Coaching sport or infant teams||2||3||4||2||2,75|
|41||Printing business – cards, t-shirts, posters, etc.||3||2||2||4||2,75|
|44||Makeup services or Cosmetic products||3||3||4||1||2,75|
|45||Social media consultant||2||2||4||3||2,75|
|47||Flipping products on Amazon, EBay, etc.||1||1||4||4||2,5|
|48||Local consulting firm||3||3||3||1||2,5|
|49||Affiliate sales and marketing||1||3||3||3||2,5|
|55||Freelancer / Fiverr||3||1||4||2||2,5|
|56||Clothes tailor (or mending)||2||4||3||1||2,5|
|59||Streamer – video, television, gaming – twitch.tv||3||1||2||4||2,5|
|60||Filling online surveys||1||4||4||1||2,5|
|62||Google Ads specialist||2||1||4||2||2,25|
|63||Interior design advisory||3||2||3||1||2,25|
|64||Photographer (portrait, weddings, etc.)||4||1||2||2||2,25|
|65||Driver at Uber / Lyft||2||3||3||1||2,25|
|67||Apps developer (games, etc)||2||1||4||2||2,25|
|69||Selling refurbished electronics||3||4||1||1||2,25|
|71||Personal fitness trainer||2||2||4||1||2,25|
|72||Yoga or meditation instructor||2||2||4||1||2,25|
|74||Real Estate sales consultant||4||1||2||2||2,25|
|77||Purchasing an online business||3||3||1||2||2,25|
|78||Laundry service door to door||2||3||2||2||2,25|
|80||Create a clothing line||3||1||2||3||2,25|
|82||Certification Reward business||3||2||2||2||2,25|
|90||Freelance eBook writing||2||2||3||1||2|
|94||Voice-over for ads||3||2||2||1||2|
|95||Illustrator / Painter||3||2||2||1||2|
All the best,
Feel free to email me to email@example.com
I take great pleasure from helping you in your journey and I’m happy to address any specific issue you’d like to see clarified.
Also, if you found this information useful, don’t forget to subscribe to stay tuned.